Janelle's in home piano lessons can incorporate reading music, building repertoire, sight reading, ear training, pop chords, performance technique, scales, posture, theory, finger exercises and eventually learning how to sing and play piano at the same time. Whether a student wants to learn pop or classical, she is able accommodate the student's desires. Janelle is a songwriter, recording artist, and performer so she also enjoys teaching songwriting to students who show potential or interest in this creative area. She helps these students write lyrics and melodies.
- Classical piano is taught through the Alfred and Piano Adventures series. Students will learn how to read music and play fun challenging pieces.
- Beginners age 5-7 start with the Little Mozart series by Alfred Publishing which includes playing basic melodies, fingering techniques, and music theory exercises in a fun and creative coloring book that accompanies the lesson book. These books also come with stuffed toys and flash cards to facilitate an enjoyable and productive learning environment. Once children graduate, they being the Alfred prep series. At this age, it is still important to practice daily in 15 minutes increments for best results. All materials can be purchased online.
- Children ages 7-11 use the Alfred PREP lesson book series with supplemental books including Piano Adventures Performance book which includes fun challenging pieces. Coloring activities and flash cards are also included in addition to beginning to learn how to play basic pop melodies if so desired.
- Older children 11 and up start with Alfred level 1A and also use the accompanying theory book. They will also use Piano Adventures books for exciting and challenging pieces. At this age, they are ready to be introduced to pop chords.
- Adult piano is taught via the Adult Alfred books but also includes more of a flexible pop chord approach. Song composition, improvisation, ear training, performance techniques, fingering techniques, and theory will also be included. Pop piano books from Hal Leonard's educational library are recommended. All books can be purchased online.